Din Lligwy, near the east coast of Anglesey, North Wales.
1905-1907 excavations uncovered hundreds of Roman period pottery sherds dating to the 3rd and 4th centuries CE. Animal bones have also been found at the site. Iron working and smithing appear to have been of Din Lligwy’s most important economic activities.
Despite the finds at the site being mostly Roman, the origins of the settlement may date back to the Iron age, when it was probably a small farming community.
The sign next to the ruins reads:
This is a well-preserved example of the type of defended settlement built by the native population of Anglesey during the latter part of the Roman occupation of Wales.
It consists of round and rectangular huts, probably not all put up at the same time, enclosed within a polygonal defensive wall. The principal period of occupation was during the 4th century AD.
Photos courtesy & taken by Richard Carter.